Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Windows Vista

  1. #1
    Inactive Member imported_trio's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 2nd, 2004
    Posts
    1,341
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Windows Vista

    Does anyone have it yet, or does anyone know the about any new features or advantages compared to XP?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member puck316's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 11th, 2003
    Posts
    137
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Windows Vista

    i know that it has a huge memory leak that will eat your computer like a whale

  3. #3
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Windows Vista

    From nearly everyone I've heard talking about it, it's basically a piece of crap.

    Not all that great besides the graphical enhancements to the desktop itself.

    Tons of unnecessary options (such as a "childproof" gaming system that blocks kids from playing games that are M-rated and several security features that aren't very important) and just a bunch of other things like that.

    I've also heard that it isn't exactly the most compatible operating system in terms of PC hardware.

    Not to mention it's horribly overpriced.

    It's basically a ripoff of the Mac OS X. Hell, there's even video proof of it all over the web.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=N-2C2gb6ws8

    Here's my favorite - Someone is using a Mac OS X in this video while Windows Vista commentary (from a conference) is being played in the background. PRICELESS:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=sTeP_eh8XAA


    HOWEVER I'm not telling you to get a Mac - I'm just showing these videos because I didn't even realize that Microsoft had totally ripped off the Mac OS X until I actually saw these videos!

    Wait for them to polish it up a bit before you waste your time with it - I'm personally not going to worry about it until Crysis (best looking game I've ever seen) comes out and DirectX 10 begins proving what it can really do.. but on Windows XP I've heard of a "DirectX 9.L" that can simulate DirectX 10 effects on computer games.

    [ QUOTE ]
    i know that it has a huge memory leak that will eat your computer like a whale

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Yes, that too! Didn't think about that.

    Stay away from Vista right now. I'm not just saying this because I want to hate on Microsoft (because I have nothing against them), but this is simply what I've heard all over the web and from everyone I've talked to that has used the operating system.

    It isn't worth your money!
    Officially retired

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Windows Vista

    Vista should be better for security purposes, but I wouldn't jump on it until the first service pack. Main reason is that several enhancements didn't make it under the wire.

    Hadn't heard about the memory leak.

    It should help networking greatly. It should be a bit friendier to navigate. Allow more customization.

    Its definitely stealing several things from the Mac OS, but thats like making a third person shooter and saying its stealing from Duke Nukem. Re-inventing the wheel is stupid if there is quality stuff to go from.

    The cost is stupid. An OS should NEVER cost that much and you would never want the Home Basic version. Useless.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Windows Vista

    [ QUOTE ]

    The cost is stupid. An OS should NEVER cost that much and you would never want the Home Basic version. Useless.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Indeed.

    I'll just be completely honest - if it didn't cost so much, I might actually consider it sometime in the near future (just for something new, albeit the many problems it has), but the thing is just WAYYYY too overpriced. They're crazy if they expect people to pay that much for it! Even the cheapest versions are more expensive than they need to be.
    Officially retired

  6. #6
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Windows Vista

    Cheapest version is worthless.
    That being said, we really don't know problems until it gets more widestream.

    Microsoft is a target, if Mac was the leader of the market (had what 90% of the machines), I'm fairly sure their OS would have plenty of holes as well.

    The Vista Home Premium is about $150 for an upgrade. Upgrading to XP Home was what, $99? XP Pro was more. How much was the Mac OS upgrade?

    You can't say that an OS, which is the key to running the computer is overpriced that much when a game costs 1/3 of it [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

    I wouldn't upgrade yet. If you buy a new computer, go for it.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member imported_trio's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 2nd, 2004
    Posts
    1,341
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Windows Vista

    I bought a computer in december and they are sending me a free uprgrade to windows Vista Home premium edition plus the price of shipping which means I get an upgrade for about 10 dollars.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Windows Vista

    And we have the boards first beta tester [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

    Don't see a reason to upgrade my home PC as far as upgradeing at work I figure we will wait for the first service pack and then look at an upgrade schedule

  9. #9
    Inactive Member imported_trio's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 2nd, 2004
    Posts
    1,341
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Windows Vista

    ill give a review of it, whenever I get it.. Even though I am nervous about installing it haha

  10. #10
    Inactive Member knight_67's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 11th, 2002
    Posts
    2,831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Windows Vista

    i heard there was an issue with downloading/burning music off theinternet with this OS?
    "i asked a toothless man, who all these people were and, he said the soapmakers...and we are workin workin"



Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •